The idea for this project actually came to me when I was helping my daughter for a school project. She was learning to be an Graphic Artist and an Art Teacher. (The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree). She was told to make something using match boxes. We came up with this cute little Jewelry box. But the truth is you could use this as a dresser in a doll house or even just a cute way of storing anything small. If you use a larger size matchbox you will be able to store larger items. Ok now for the directions.
- 3 matchboxes
- Colored paper of your choice ( I used a flower patterned one.)
- Paint (I used three different colors you don’t have to.)
- Small thin gage wire or a sewing pin with a colored tip (I used the wire but a pin would work just as well)
- Small pliers for twisting the wire
- Ribbon or Washi Tape (optional)
- Take the middle draw part out of the matchboxes and paint them whatever color you would like.( I used blue, orange, and yellow for mine.)
- While the boxes are drying glue the outside frames of the matchboxes together one on top of the other.
- Measure the length of the matchbox and cut a long strip of paper to match.
- Glue your strip of paper to the sides of the three glued together frames starting on the bottom of one box and overlapping a little to make sure the whole frame is covered. Cut off any extra paper.
- If you are using a ribbon or washi tape you would glue this on around the frames too. You can decorate your jewelry box anyway you wish.
- Once the middle draw parts that you painted are totally dry. (If they are not totally dry when you put them in the frame they will stick)
- If using wire, cut 3 5cm pieces. Twist each one to form a circle in the middle. Bring the two ends together to form a circle on the top of one long stick. This forms your handle for the draws.
- Using a pin poke a small hole in one end of each matchbox (If you are using sewing pin just poke the pin threw the box and leave there for the handle)
- Insert your handle into the hole in the boxes and fold the ends of the wire or pin to the side of the box.
- Tape the wire to the side to hold it in place.
- Insert your draws into the frame and you are done.
I hope you enjoy doing this project. Write me an email and send me a picture of your jewelry box email@example.com