Size of finished placemat 42 cm x35 cm
Gage: 10 stitches across =5 cm, 6 rows = 4 cm.
You will need:
- Teal yarn (or any color you chose)
- Gray yarn (or any color you chose)
- size 4 hook (or size for your yarn)
- ch= chain
- sc= single
- hdc= half double crochet
- fphdc= front post half double crochet
- bphdc= back post half double crochet
- Tss= Tunisian simple stitch
(All directions are for sport weight yarn. If using lighter weight or heavier you will have to adjust number of stitches or size hook)
With main color (Teal) ch 71
- In second chain from hook hdc, hdc x 69, ch 1 and turn (70 stitches)
- hdc across the row, ch1 turn (70 stitches)
- hdc, *fphdc, bphdc* repeat from * to * until last stitch (68 stitches), hdc, ch1 turn (70 stitches total)
- hdc across the row, ch 1 turn (70 stitches)
- Repeat rows 2-4 for a total of 15 sets
- sc around the outside of the whole placemat doing 3sc in each corner. (do about 54 stitches on short sides and 70 across long sides)
- sl to join beginning of round to end, fasten off
With second color (gray) fasten on to any sc except a corner.
If this gets confusing watch the video
- In second chain from the hook you will start your tss attaching the row to the teal sc border you did.
- tss across side
- Do three tss in same sc of teal border at corner
- repeat steps 2-3 until you have completely gone around the border
- In last tss attach each loop to the first ch stitches you did
- ch 5, skip 3 stitches and sc in 4th, ch 5 do not fasten off
- pushing the gray yarn to the front, Attach the teal to the middle stitch of the 3 you just skipped
- with teal ch 5, pushing the gray to the back, sc in second stitch from the gray sc, ch 5 do not fasten off
- with gray , pushing the teal to the back, sc in second stitch from the teal, ch 5 do not fasten off
- with teal, pushing the gray to the back, sc in second stitch from the gray sc, ch 5 do not fasten off
- repeat rows 9-10 all the way around. You do not need to do anything special at the corners.
- Attach the last ch 5 of each color to the beginning 5 ch you did on the border with a sc.
- Fasten off and weave in ends.
Leave a comment below and let me know how yours came out. Leave a picture too if you want.